disclaimer: i am all about self growth and personal reflection and goal setting and all that good stuff. however, a few years ago i swore to myself i would never make another new years resolution. its overwhelming, right? basically you think of something that is wrong with yourself, watch the ball drop at midnight, flip the calendar the next morning and BAM. hello to being a nicer person and goodbye to caffeinated drinks. and the idea of spending a whole year focusing on just one goal? it just wasn’t working for me. all that being said, with the help of my cousin, i thought of a new idea.
this year (and last), we decided to create monthly goals. goals that change as the seasons change. lots of little goals that will leave you feeling accomplished and satisfied at the end of the year. each month, we jot down five personal goals to share and to hold each other accountable for. i find it easiest to divide the goals into five categories: self, home, health, child, and relationship.
that brings me to my goals this month:
- (self) start a blog! so far so good.
- (home) clean out the closets and donate what we don’t need. i’ve already donated a big box of toys but our closets are stuffed full of things we don’t need. anyone in need of 74 pairs of unmatched shoes?
- (health) no desserts or treats. i’m pretty sure all my teeth are sweet teeth and considering my main food group last month was christmas cookies, i think it’s time for a sugar detox.
- (child) take hudson to the doctor and the dentist for a three year checkup. judge me if you must, but life gets busy and obvious things like this can be easily pushed aside.
- (relationship) this category is just a reminder to water any relationship that is in need of watering. this month, i have two books from my church library that i am going to read on maintaining healthy relationships. i’m also going to read a fictional book i’ve had on my shelf for awhile (see above) but haven’t cracked open yet. i guess thats another “self” related goal, but i’m counting it!
so, i’d love to hear! do you make new years resolutions? what are some of your goals this month?